Save money while traveling with these apps that help you save BIG on accommodation, things to do, and more…
Are you dreaming of exploring new destinations and experiencing different cultures but are worried about the expenses of traveling? Fortunately, there are money-saving travel apps that help you make the most of your travel budget.
In this blog, we will introduce you to three travel apps that will help you save money on accommodation, things to do, and more. With these apps, you can travel more and worry less about breaking the bank.
So, pack your bags, and let’s dive into these money-saving travel apps!
We use affiliate links and may receive a small commission on purchases at no added cost to you. Thank you for your support.
3 Great Money-Saving Travel Apps
You’re probably well aware of the big money-saving travel apps like Kayak, Groupon, Gas Buddy, and Hopper. So, we won’t waste your time telling you about apps you already know about.
Instead, I will cover three lesser-known apps you can use to save money while traveling. They are: Klook, Dosh, and TravelSpend.
Best Money-Saving App for Things to Do
Kayak and Hopper can save you money on getting somewhere, but what about once you’re there? How can you save money on the best things to do in an area? Or, learn about great deals wherever you are?
That’s where Klook comes in…
Klook may have a kooky name, but it’s serious about saving you money on things to do. You can find deals locally or as you travel around the world. They have particularly good deals in Southeast Asian countries.
You can search by destinations, deals, and specific services or things to do. It’ll also show you popular activities in your area.
Simply click on Things to Do, Hotels, Transport, or Car Rentals to search for those by location. Or do more specific searches in one of the many categories the app offers:
- Day Trips
- Theme Parks
- Observation Decks
- Events & Shows
- Food & Dining
- & more!
The app also features special experiences and amazing deals which can inspire your next trip. It’s really a great way to get to know a new city or even discover more on a staycation.
The Klook website is great, but so is the app. The app works just as well as the website, if not better, because of the added convenience.
Best Cash-Back App for Travel
Cash-back apps are great for saving money on things you buy anyway. Most cash-back apps only give you money back on everyday basics, like groceries and gas. And most are confined to the country you live in.
But there is one cash-back app that is great for travelers…
Dosh is a cash-back app, but it’s unlike the other cash-back apps in a big way. It offers cash back on hotel stays! This includes international hotels.
If you’re unfamiliar with this kind of app, Dosh gets you automatic cash back at thousands of places when you shop, dine, or book hotels. You do not have to use coupons or scan receipts like you do with similar apps.
Instead, you download the app, link your cards, and then Dosh deposits the cash back into your wallet automatically. Once you accumulate $15, you can transfer the money to your bank, PayPal or Venmore. Or donate it to charity.
So, like Klook, it’s a great money-saving app to use while traveling and at home.
Best Travel App for Tracking Spending
Sometimes the best way to save money is to track money. People are less likely to overspend when they track their money because they are more thoughtful about the purchases they make.
While you may keep a budget spreadsheet at home, it helps to have an app designed to help you track your traveling expenses…
TravelSpend helps you track your spending on the go. It’s a well-organized, easy-to-use app that simplifies how you follow your travel expenses.
Sure, you can use any budget app when you travel, but TravelSpend has useful features specifically designed for travelers. These features include:
- Sync & Share: Organize your budget with friends and family
- Split Costs: Keep track of who owes whom
- Auto Currency Exchange: Automatically converts any currency to your home currency
- Mapped Expenses: Follow your expenses on a map
The app also has the standard money-tracking features that help you stick to your trip budget and gain insight from your spending. So, you could use it at home as well as when you travel. But it certainly excels with traveling budgets.
Want to learn more?
For a deeper dive into the world of new travel tech – here’s a great post from Booking.com – The Future of Business Travel – where they take you out all the way to 2050!
Here are Your Quick Links to all the New Travel Tech
10 Tips to Save Money While You Travel
The above apps are great for helping you save money while traveling. They can all be used concurrently for optimal savings.
But there are more ways you can save while traveling, too. Here are several tips to help:
- Plan your trip in advance: By planning your trip ahead of time, you can take advantage of early bird deals and save money on flights, hotels, and activities.
- Travel off-season: Traveling during off-season can save you money on flights, accommodation, and activities. Plus, you can avoid the crowds and enjoy a more authentic experience.
- Use travel rewards credit cards: Travel rewards credit cards can help you earn points and miles that you can redeem for flights, hotels, and other travel expenses.
- Eat like a local: Instead of eating at touristy restaurants, opt for local food stalls and markets where you can try authentic cuisine at a fraction of the cost.
- Walk or bike: Walking or biking is not only a great way to explore a new destination, but it can also save you money on transportation costs.
- Use public transportation: Using public transportation is another way to save money on transportation costs while also experiencing the local culture.
- Book shared accommodations: Instead of booking a hotel room, consider staying in shared accommodations such as hostels or Airbnb, which are often cheaper and provide a more authentic experience. HostelWorld is a great app for this.
- Look for free activities: Many cities offer free activities such as walking tours, museums, and parks. Do some research and take advantage of these opportunities.
- Invest in Reciprocal Memberships: Get access and discounts to many museums, zoos, etc. with ONE membership.
- Buy tickets in advance: Whether it’s for a popular tourist attraction or a concert, buying tickets in advance can save you money and avoid last-minute surcharges or price increases. Plus, it can also save you time waiting in long lines.
By following these tips and using these apps, you can save money while you travel and make the most of your budget!
Do you prefer to travel by RV?
Use the RV Lifestyle blog as an RV Google – as we have over 3000 articles on living the RV life for over a decade! Use the Search bar to find the answers to living your best life traveling and camping. Then head over to our YouTube Channel or listen to us on your favorite Podcast player (where we have nearly 500 podcasts waiting for you), or hang out with us on any of our social sites. Your adventure awaits!